After critically reading the chapters on Age, Ability , and Disability , you will write a reflection paper.
PART 1: AGEISM Questions:
- How has your own experience and observation of youth oppression and/or elder oppression been similar and/or different from the experiences and observations described in the “Voices” Section?
- Whose voices are included in this chapter? What additional voices might be included in this chapter?
- What kinds of experiences or observations could be added to this section?
- What are a few examples of intersections between youth and elder oppression and other forms of oppression?
- If you were to write a testimonial (personal story) of your own experience as a young person and/or as an elder with youth oppression and elder oppression, what would you include in that testimonial? Write at least one full paragraph.
PART 2: ABILITY & DISABILITY
- What is your reaction to the video clip? What stood out for you?
- What stereotypes, prejudices and biases do individuals have towards people with disabilities?
- In what ways are people with disabilities discriminated against in employment? Education? Housing?
- Were you aware of the statics shared (e.g. High School graduation rates for students with disabilities is 57%, 72% of people with disabilities are unemployed, those that are employed earn an income that is half the national average)? Do the statistics surprise you?
- What ableist viewpoints and practices at various levels (individual, institutional, and cultural) contribute to such problematic statistics?
FOR MORE THESE RESEARCH QUESTIONS VISIT: